There are many "superfoods" out there, but Maca Root powder is definitely one worth trying, I have originally bought it to balance my hormones, but I have noticed that it really increased my energy levels, stamina when exercising & as well as my general wellbeing.
I can really feel a difference and it is a great way to naturally boost your vitality, increase memory & focus during demanding days.
What is Maca?
It is a powerful creamy textured powder adaptogen with nutty flavour grown in the Andes region, mainly in the Mountains of Peru, interestingly maca was valued as a currency during pre-Incan times.
Apart from energy boosting properties Maca is very rich in nutrients and has even more calcium than milk, here is the list of nutrients in Maca:
- Over 20 amino acids, including 8 essential amino acids
- 20 free-form fatty acids
- Vitamins B-1, B-2, C and E
These are the top reasons why to add Maca root to your diet:
- Balancing hormones in women- balancing the amount of estrogen that a women body produces, hence increases reproductive health & fertility, reduces menopause symptoms.
- Men’s health - other studies suggest that maca helps to improve sperm production, its volume & mobility, these are all important factors of increasing fertility & positive effect on sexual libido.
- Energy, Focus & Mood – those using maca regularly report to feel more awake, energised and more concentrated
- Antioxidant Booster - maca root increases the glutathione levels in the body, which helps to improve your immune system and disease resistance, it also balances proper levels of cholesterol in the body. Plus, it significantly improves glucose tolerance, by lowering levels of glucose in blood.
If you want to try maca root powder make sure you buy it in 100% pure form, ideally organic & grow in Peru or Andes.
My favourite so far is Maca Root by Fushi.
How to use Maca?
It is so easy to incorporate it into your diet, however you should avoid using in when baking or microwaving as it may lose its benefits due to the heat. Simply add it to your smoothie, porridge, yoghurt or sprinkle over fruits.
I will be delighted to hear your experience with Maca root or any other superfoods!